How can a GI Dietitian help you?
There are 3 ways a GI Dietitian may be able to assist in the treatment or management of your gastrointestinal issues:
- Education – Understanding the role of nutrition in your GI condition empowers you with the knowledge to make informed decisions around food in pursuit of better gut health and quality of life.
- Medication Nutrition Therapy – A Dietitian is qualified to provide evidence-based dietary prescription to manage symptoms of GI disease or dysfunction while supporting the GI tract’s natural healing processes.
- Nutritional Counselling – It is important that any dietary changes made are sustainable and result in improved, not diminished, quality of life. A dietitian can support you through the process of making gradual, sustainable dietary changes that fit into your lifestyle to improve your health without dieting.
What GI conditions does a Dietitian treat?
Examples of conditions a GI Dietitian can assist with include the following:
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Coeliac Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Gallbladder or Liver Disease
- Food Allergy and Intolerance
Do I need a referral to see the Dietitian?
No, you do not need a referral to see the dietitian and are welcome to pay for the sessions at the full out-of-pocket cost.
A rebate is payable by Medicare if either a Chronic Disease Management Plan or Eating Disorder Management Plan is prepared and sent to QLD Pelvic Floor Centre by your GP.
A rebate may be payable by your private health insurer dependent on your level of extras cover. Please enquire with your private health insurer for more information.
How do I book an appointment with the Dietitian?
To book an appointment with our Dietitian, call (07) 3193 7711 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Will the Dietitian just give me a meal plan?
No, the Dietitian will take time to understand your specific GI concerns, dietary preferences, lifestyle and relationship with food before working with you collaboratively over a number of sessions to develop a flexible eating pattern that reduces symptoms, promotes healing and improves quality of life.
What are the dietitian fees?
Initial session – $250
45min follow up session – $190
30min follow up session – $140
Late cancellations (<48hrs notice) – 50% of consultation fee
Late cancellations (<24hrs notice) – 100% of consultation fee
Does the dietitian offer telehealth?
While the initial session should occur in person, follow up appointments with the Dietitian may be offered via telehealth if deemed safe to do so by the clinician.